Training plays a pivotal role in terms of rehabilitating and sustaining wildlife areas. Appointed as a centre of specialisation in conservation education, training and skills development within the SADC region, the SAWC has also been recognised as an Institute of Sectoral and Occupational Excellence (ISOE) for its contribution to skills development and organisational capacitation by CATHSSETA; the custodian of National Qualifications in the fields of tourism, sport, hospitality, tourist guiding and nature conservation.
The College ensures that all legal requirements for institutional registration and programme accreditation are adhered to.
The College is a legal association with the registered name of the Southern African Wildlife College NPC – Registration Number 1996/005726/08 – and a non-profit company in terms of the Companies Act, no. 71 of 2008.
The Programme Management Policy is benchmarked against the following legislation and guidelines:
- National Education Policy Act, Act 27 of 1996
- Higher Education and Training Act – as amended by the Higher Education Amendment Act (Act No. 39 of 2008)
- Higher Education Act, 1997 (Act No. 101 of 1997) Regulations for the Registration of Private Higher Education Institutions, 2016 • Further Education and Training Act – as amended by the General and Further Education and Training Quality Assurance
- Amendment Act (Act No. 50 of 2008)
- SAQA Act – as amended by the National Qualifications Framework Act (Act No. 67 of 2008)
- Various SAQA Criteria and Guidelines documents such as the Guidelines to Integrated Assessment.
- Skills Development Act – as amended by the Skills Development Amendment Act (Act No. 37 of 2008)
- Skills Development Levies Act, Act 9 of 1999
- ETQA Regulations
- Requirements of the ETQA/QC with whom the College is accredited / registered (HEQC/UMALUSI/QCTO/ Sector
- Education and Training Authorities)
- Department of Higher Education and Training guidelines for Work-Integrated Learning and Workplace-based Learning.
- Council on Higher Education – A good practice guide for the quality management of short courses offered outside of the higher education qualifications sub-framework, September 2016
- Department of Higher Education and Training – Draft policy on Internationalisation, April 2017