A programme offering leadership development for leaders who are formally in the conservation sector.
The programme brings together a diverse group of 30 conservation leaders from multiple conservation institutions across Southern and Eastern Africa, to undertake a 3-month leadership programme together. The cohort will be intergenerational, comprising one senior and one young leader (under the age of 35) from every participating institution. It follows a blended learning approach, using the strengths of both online (own time) and online (real-time) in a four-stage learning journey.
Accelerator: 15 March to 14 May – online (own time)
Leadership Foundations: 17-21 May - online (real time)
Embedding: 24 May - 2 August - online (own time)
Translate: 3-5 August - online (real time)
How does it work?
- Accelerator: In this first module, delivered online, both generations of participants “meet” each other and are introduced to some of the basic concepts of Leading Beyond Authority and Cultural Intelligence.
- Leadership Foundations: This is a four day face-to-face module, which builds on the basics acquired in the Accelerator and stretches the participants thinking about leadership. It does so through a variety of exercises and immersive experiences which take the participants into face-to-face contact with impressive leader role models and their organisations. This module will take place in Johannesburg and participants will have access to a wide diversity of leaders from different types of organisations. This module includes intra-generational and inter-generational coaching. This module culminates in candidates selecting practical challenges in their workplaces on which they will begin to try out their new skills.
- Embedding: This is the phase in which the participants work to integrate their new thinking and skills into their workplace and life practice. The inter- and intra-generational peer coaching groups continue to provide a support structure during this period of experimentation and learning.
- Translate: This is the final face-to-face module, held over two days. It focuses on sharing the learning from the Embedding period, and building collaborative skills, through a Collaboration Laboratory. The module concludes with the development of a strong personal growth plan ahead.
The programme comprises an up-front introductory WhatsApp-based module, followed by three days, delivered in person in the community, using highly experiential techniques. The three-day in-person module includes the following elements:
Day 1: Leadership Foundations The concept of Leading Beyond Authority(LBA) is introduced, with exercises to assist in internalising this leadership approach, and engagements with an external leaders whose own stories inspire and illustrate this leadership principle.
Day 2: Leadership Building We build practical leadership skills, using the foundational concept of LBA. We focus on collaboration, using a Collaboration Laboratory as the teaching tool. This comprises a simulation exercise in which the group is presented with a real-world community challenge and, with the help of representatives of relevant local institutions, they role-play leadership within those organisations’, working together to find solutions to a challenge. This module includes a range of external stakeholders as participants, adding significantly to the depth of the learning.
Day 3: Leadership EmbeddingWe guide the participants into consideration of real-world challenges and opportunities in their community and wrestle with the skills and behaviour shifts needed to pursue them. Inspiration external leaders enable the participants to see and imagine how they too can succeed as leaders.
2021 community programme dates and locations:
- Barokologadi, North West from 14 - 16 April
- Moopong, Limpopo from 5 - 7 May
- Location still to be confirmed for community programmes running from 9 -11 June and 21- 23 July
Other locations still to be confirmed.