Field-based training Internship for Gashaka Gumti National Park
Context: Nigeria’s largest protected area, Gashaka-Gumti National Park (GGNP) is located on the border with Cameroon. The park harbours a huge diversity of wildlife including forest buffalo, Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzees and a wider variety of antelopes. The park however is threatened by illegal cattle grazing, poaching and logging. Africa Nature Investors (ANI) Foundation is a Nigerian NGO established to engage the African business sector in conservation in Africa and to demonstrate the private sector investment can make the protection of nature profitable. We have selected Gashaka-Gumti as our first project, and have signed an agreement with the National Park Service (PkS) establishing a Private-Public Partnership (PPP) co-management model. We are building a team of staff for the park and are looking for young graduated we can train and bring to Gashaka.
We will place you with a game reserve for a period of 4 months for hands-on training after which there might be a possibility of a position working in Gahsaka Gumti National Park thereafter.
At least a bachelors degree in a relevant subject (e.g. Environmental studied, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Conservation, Forestry, Agriculture, Protected Area Management.)
- Ability to use a computer (Word and excel)
- Good negotiating and interpersonal skill especially with rural communities
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Hard working, relatively fit and enjoys being outdoors in the field
- An understanding of Hausa and/or Fulani would be advantageous
- While you are based at the game reserve, you will recieve on-the-job training the following:
- Participation and management of ranger patrols – you will go on regular patrols with game rangers for several days at a time. (you will came most of the time and must be comfortable being in the bush.) Therefore, a good level of fitness is important.
- Communication with the rural communities and understanding how to establish and manage an information gathering and intelligence network
- Construction and repair of game reserve infrastructure ( e.g. roads, bridges and buildings)
- Management and accountability of project activities and expenses
Any other duties required from time to time.
Terms and conditions: This will be a four-month posting in a game reserve in Africa. You will be given a monthly stipend for feeding and accommodation for the duration of the training and transport expenses to travel there and back to your home.
Contact details: Please send a CV and covering letter to Tunde Morakinyo, Executive Director, email@example.com
Application deadline: 30th June 2020.
Download document HERE.